Friday, July 9, 2010

I Never Knew: The Campaign to Ban Comic Sans

Okay, so LeBron went to the Heat (with Da'Sean, I might add), and Cavs owner Dan Gilbert writes a scathing opinion. This, however, is not what has the Twitterati's panties in bunches.  The issue: Gilbert wrote said scathing opinion in {gasp!} Comic Sans.
spkr4thedead51 



I honestly don't care about LeBron's move or the NBA in general, but who the hell let the Cavaliers' owner post his letter in Comic Sans?




The Tweetdom is trending Comic Sans posts like never before.  Who knew the simple choice of a font could be so consequential?


Apparently there has been a movement to crush the use of Comic Sans, developed in 1994 by Vincent Connare for some time.  According to an article in The Wall Street Journal graphic designer Holly Sliger and her husband Dave Combs began the Ban Comic Sans Movement in 1999.  The couple has gained global awareness for their movement, which is supported by the sale of stickers, coffee mugs and other paraphernalia promoting "typography awareness."


Personally, I don't know what the big deal is.  Yes, one should choose a font to convey a message or a tone.  Maybe Gilbert's opinion and choice of font was a statement that worrying about LeBron's move to Miami was sort of second grade.  Maybe the guy just likes Comic Sans.  Who cares?  Apparently way too many people!  Since I began writing this brief post, my Twitter feed has turned up 186 new tweets on Comic Sans.


Make that 192 tweets.


Elementary teachers like Comic Sans for its child-friendly appeal.  I don't think we will stop using the font anytime soon.  When it does, you can count on me to write all my official reports in Wing Ding.

No comments: