Saturday, July 10, 2010

A Farm Morning.doc


Dan and I are sitting under the maples trees, listening to the birds and insects, waiting for the fog to lift.  Today promises to be a beautiful clear, moderately hot day after a week of blistering mid 90s. 

It has only been five days since our last farm visit. Not much has changed in our brief absence, except for a tree in Carl's field.  Last weekend, July 3-5, I thought I noticed a patch of red in this tree's leaves.  This weekend the bottom leaves have turned bittersweet, and color has spread to a few neighboring trees.

I search my mind for reasons why this tree and its neighbors have begun their fall display.  Is it lack of rainfall? Was it the few mornings of temperatures in the 40s?

The tree usually is the first at the farm to change colors, and usually I welcome the change as the sign of a new school year ahead, full of endless possibilities.  But this is too early. I am not ready to let go of summer yet.

No comments: