Sunday, September 16, 2007

Sunday Night Reflection

"Suzie, I'm disappointed in you," my dad said. It was one of the rare times he said something like that to me. "Football is my favorite sport, and you don't like it at all."
He was right. When I was an adolescent and a teenager, football did not appeal to me at all. I don't know why I didn't like football. Perhaps it was because I didn't play it.
More than likely it was because football controlled the airwaves during my childhood's Sunday afternoons in the very months that the weather was not conducive for my going outside to play. On these Sundays the television would be turned on to a game around noon and would not be turned off until it was time for The Wonderful World of Disney at 7:00 that evening. Even though my dad slept through most of the games, my brother and I had to be quiet, because Daddy was watching the game. The minute one of us would touch the dial the snoring would stop and Daddy would bellow, "I was watching that!"
Football season lasted forever.
Now, of course, football season flies by. I listen to weekly radio broadcasts of either of our hometown high school football games. Saturdays (and sometimes Thursdays) belong to the WV Mountaineers. And today, a Sunday, I found myself watching the end of the Ravens game, thinking that I should watch more pro ball.
What would my dad think of this? Most likely he would think that I came to football too late, now that we can't watch it together. What do I think?
"To everything there is a season," of course.

1 comment:

Ann Liston said...

Suzie,
When reading your "Sunday Night Reflection" it brought back some wonderful memories of my childhood. I would sit in our living room and watch the Redskins with my Father every Sunday afternoon. Because of that, I am happy to say that I am still a Redskins fan! My Father was the sports editor of our local hometown paper, so watching, reading about or going to sporting events was almost an everyday happening in our house. Thank you for allowing me to let those special football memories with my Dad resurface. I miss you Dad!
I too, am a Mountaineer fan as my husband and daughter both graduated from WVU. Go Mountaineers!!!!