Friday, March 5, 2010

Greener Pastures



While the ground has been covered in snow and no hope of spring in sight, I have been thinking a lot about the farm and yearning for the days to return there. Judging by the 10-day forecast, maybe I will get my chance next weekend!

The farm is good for me in so many ways.  First of all, it is nice to experience a a state of disconnectedness. I am online for the better part of each day and when I am not online I am tethered to my cell phone.  Even though I take both my laptop and cell phone to the farm, I lack adequate service to make the most of these devices.  Most of the time the computer isn't even turned on.  I have no television at the farm, and hence, no NCIS to consume my time.  Even the radio signals are spotty.

When Dan and I work at the farm I feel a true sense of accomplishment and know the sweat of hard work.  Seeing the results of one's labor is truly rewarding,  I am thrilled how much we have accomplished in the short time we have owned the farm.  Of course, last year most of the labor was accomplished by Dan. This is it may not only be desirable for me to share more of the load, it may be necessary.

I have found I do my best thinking and writing at the farm.  Almost all of my National Board entries were either written or planned at the farm.  Looking back on past blog posts and other writings, I can barely believe that I wrote them, their clarity is so above my usual efforts.

Occasionally I will become annoyed with the neighbors running four wheelers up and down the road below us.  I am not as distressed by the sound of the machines as I am the interruption of my reverie. My thoughts pondered beneath the maple trees often turn into action plans for my conduct of life.  It is a horrible thing when a dream is terminated and unrealized.

Dan was able to visit the farm this week when work brought him nearby.  It was the first time either of us had been there since November.  He reported that we had little wear and tear over the winter months and that our "structure" is waiting for us, the trees ready to bud above our Adirondack chairs.  I can barely wait.

No comments: